Texas NORML’s New Meeting ScheduleJune 9, 2021
Petition: Ask Gov. Abbott to Include Medical Cannabis in the Special Session!June 28, 2021
Yesterday, Governor Abbott signed HB 1535, which allows for all forms of cancer and patients with PTSD to now qualify for the program while increasing the THC cap from 0.5 percent to 1 percent, and facilitates research programs. Additionally, a bill which codify patient protections for those who are in the Texas Compassionate Use Program (T.CUP) and protect them from being harassed by child protective services takes effect on September 1st. We will keep you updated as these new additions to the T.CUP roll out.
A record six bills regarding cannabis policy passed from the Texas House to the Senate this session. Additionally, the House held committee hearings for 13 cannabis bills. Bills were sent to the Senate which would:
- Reduce the penalty for THC concentrates from a felony to Class B misdemeanor. (HB 2593)
- Reduce the penalty for possession of marijuana flower and eliminate jail time for possessing small amounts. (HB 441)
- Enshrine parental protections. (HB 567) PASSED
- Improve the Texas Hemp Program. (HB 3948)
- Improve the Texas Compassionate Use Program. (HB 1535) PASSED
Now that restrictions have eased and more of Texas is opening, Texas NORML has evaluated how we will move forward with our meetings. We have gotten strong feedback that hosting our monthly meeting virtually allows more of our fellow Texans to participate and enables us to have speakers from all across the state and country. We also deeply miss being in person with our Austin area family. In order to enjoy the best of both worlds, the Texas NORML Board has decided to move forward hosting our monthly meetings virtually and hosting quarterly socials in person.
What Does This Mean?
- Monthly Virtual Meetings – These meetings will continue to be hosted on the first Wednesday of every month. You can view them on Facebook Live or join in on Zoom. Each meeting is posted to YouTube afterwards. Agendas for each month will be posted on the Texas NORML website.
- Quarterly In Person Socials – These socials will be hosted quarterly on the third Wednesday of those months at Flamingo Cantina (515 East 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701). Doors will open at 8pm and there will be $5 cover. 18+ event.
2021 Calendar – Save the Dates!
- Wednesday, July 7th at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, August 4th at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, August 18th at 8pm – Summer Quarterly Social
- Wednesday, September 1st at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, October 6th at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, November 3rd at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting
- Wednesday, November 17th at 8pm – Fall Quarterly Social
- Wednesday, December 1st at 8pm – Monthly Virtual Meeting